Published on December 16th, 2009 | by Gareth0
Hearty Vegetable Curry
Forget the tinned pastes and jars of ready in 10 second curry sauces. This is quick to make, hearty, healthy, crammed with flavour and preservative free vegetarian curry.
- 3 tblspn olive or canola oil
- 300ml or 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Large onion – quartered
- 2 Cloves garlic – finely chopped
- 2 Carrots – peeled chopped into cubes
- 1-2 potatoes – peeled and chopped into cubes
- Can of chick peas (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves
- 3 tblespn curry powder (if you want to use individual spice: 2 tspn cumin seed, 1 tsp fennel seed, 1 tspn tumeric, 1 tspn chilli powder, 1 tspn ground coriander seed)
Heat oil in pan (if using individual spice put the fennel and cumin seed in the pan until begin to pop then add remaining spice). If using all in one curry powder then cook onion first until brown.
Add carrot, cook for 5 minutes, stir and add potatoe cook for further 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients including curry powder (except the coriander leaves). Stir and simmer for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until carrot is tender. Add extra water and gently stir if the curry gets too dry and begins to burn. As with all curries it tastes better the next day so if you can make in advance its worth the effort.
Serve on basmati or jasmine rise with fresh coriander leaves and mango chutney to garnish.