Published on November 23rd, 2010 | by Gareth5
Moist and chunky banana bread
I love banana bread it’s like a healthy version of cake because it’s called bread instead of cake. Well at least that’s what I tell myself as I cut my third slice. This is one of life’s afternoon pleasures a slice of chilled moist banana bread with a nice cup of Assam tea.
As cake, sorry bread recipes go this is relatively simply. Most recipes that I have tried usually call for adding mashed banana, to give different textures I like to add chopped banana. You can also add chopped walnut or hazelnut for a bit of crunch.
- 125g butter – room temperature
- 175g raw sugar (muscovado is good for added depth)
- 2 fresh eggs
- 280g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 125ml milk
- 4 medium sized over ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Galliano liqueur
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Lightly oil a 23cm loaf tin
- Mix the butter and sugar with a whisk or food mixer until smooth
- Add 1 egg, mix well
- Add second egg and fold in until thoroughly mixed
- Sift flour, salt and bicarbonate of soda into the mixture and fold in to the rest of the mix
- Pour in the milk and continue to mix
- Add remaining flour and stir until well mixed
- Mash up 3 of the bananas and stir into the mixture then chop the remaining banana and fold in.
- Pour mixture in and bake for 50mins-1hr or until cooked all the way through and golden brown.
Share with friends or keep it to yourself, you decide. This will keep in a sealed container for 3-4 days. Try it chilled.